If you operate a business and you don’t have a website yet, you should really consider building one.
Why should you build a business website?
The truth of the matter is that you can’t afford not to have one.
Your business website can help you generate more clients throughout all aspects of the customer acquisition cycle, such as when a prospective client:
- Performs a broad internet search for what sort of businesses can help with solving his/her problems – and discovers you;
- Wants to find out more information about specific businesses to see if he/she should inquire for more information;
- Retrieves your contact information to reach out to you either through email or the phone.
The situations on how you can benefit from having built a business website are endless.
Let’s face it, you probably use the internet to find out more information about various businesses too, right?
Gone are the days when you can only rely on having your business listed in the Yellow Pages or word-of-mouth. While these “old school” methods are still effective to a certain extent, creating a business website is complementary to other methods of attracting new customers.
If you’re wondering how to build a business website, just know that it’s not as hard as you think.
This guide will walk you through what you need and how to get started in building your first business website.
You probably have a million things on your To-Do list, and adding a website to your long list can be overwhelming.
This is why we create this ultimate guide to show you how you can quickly and easily build a professional business website all on your own.
Here are the 5 simple steps to get started:
5 Easy Steps to Building A Business Website
1. GET A DOMAIN NAME
Anyone who ever used the internet knows you need to insert a website address to get to any website.
A domain name is the address of your website.
While it is very common for businesses to have domain names that are the same as their business names (such as walmart.com), you can pick a domain name to include any text phrase you want as long as it is not already taken.
For example, the domain name for our website is www.websitebuilderexpert.com.
There are two costs associated with getting your own domain name:
- Cost to buy a domain name; and
- Cost to keep your domain name registered every year.
A domain name typically costs around $10 to $12 to purchase, and the same price range for you to keep it registered in your name every year.
If someone already owns the domain name you want, you’ll need to select a different domain name or it is possible to reach out to the owner to buy it.
Here are some FAQs about domain names:
Q: Where can I buy a domain name?
Q: Where can I find more about domain names? For example, how to pick, purchase and register my domain name?
A: Here is our comprehensive beginners guide domain names. You’ll find everything you need to know about domain names in our guide.
2.GET A PERSONALIZED BUSINESS EMAIL ADDRESS
To make your business look more professional and established, you’ll need a custom business email address.
You probably don’t want your prospective customers to see that you’re using a Gmail email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
They’ll probably perceive that your business is not as established. While this is pretty judgmental, it’s just human nature.
The most common business email addresses format actually uses your business domain name.
For example, our email address is email@example.com
So yours can be firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting a custom business email address is fairly easy, fast and cheap. Our recommendation is to use G Suite which is powered by Google.
It’s basically Gmail for businesses except you have a personalized email address. You get the friendly user-interface, reliability, and security of Gmail.
It only costs $5 a month per email address, which in our view is a very reasonable price to pay to get your own customized email address and you can sit back and let Google manage everything else.
We also use G Suite ourselves and we’re very pleased with their services.
G Suite is fully integrated with some of our recommended website builders.
If you choose to use one of these website builders, they make it easy for you to setup your own personalized business email addresses. You won’t have to sign up to G Suite separately as you can get your email addresses all setup within the website builder control panel.
More about our recommended website builders below.
3.CHOOSE A BUSINESS WEBSITE BUILDER
This is one of the most important steps when building your business website.
This is because if you choose the right website builder software based on your needs, building a business website can be as leisurely as a walk in the park versus climbing Mount Everest.
There are a lot of website builders out there and they all have their own sets of pros and cons. We’ve pretty much used most if not all of the website builders to create all sorts of different websites, so we want to share our recommendations with you.
When choosing a website builder, keep this in mind:
Never choose a website builder that is too complex and offers all sorts of features that you don’t need.
It so easy to get enticed by all the bells and whistles and make the mistake of falling for business website builders that offer the most tools. After all, our brains are naturally wired to believe that more is better.
Features are great only if you actually use them. Remember, the more features a website builder have, the more complex and difficult it may be to use. Try to keep things simple and it will make your life a bit easier.
When choosing the right website builder, make sure you consider your technical and design skill levels, and what complex features you realistically need for your website.
There is no such thing as a perfect website builder for everyone. Some business website builders will work better for some people. As long as you don’t get side-tracked by fancy tools that you might potentially use 5 years down the road, you will be fine.
To help you through the selection process, here is a guide we wrote on how to choose the right website builder with 9 simple questions you can ask yourself.
Here are our recommended website builders and what they are best suited for:
Top 4 Business Website Builders
Detail Top 4 Website Builder Assessment
|“Best All-Around Drag & Drop Website Builder“
Who is Wix best for?
|“Best Design Oriented Drag & Drop Website Builder“
Who is Squarespace best for?
|“Easiest-to-Use Drag & Drop Website Builder“
Who is Weebly best for?
|“Most Flexible Website Builder“ – (not a drag & drop builder and requires you to subscribe to a separate hosting service, such as Bluehost)
Who is WordPress best for?
We’ve created a handy table chart that compares costs and features of WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, and Weebly.
- Website Builder Comparison Chart: Side-by-side breakdown of website builders and their features.
- Quiz To Help You Find the Right Website Builder: 4 questions to guide you to the best website builder for you.
- 9 Questions You Should Ask When Picking a Website Builder: These questions will help simply your decision process.
- Cost Guide – Detailed cost breakdown of using WordPress and drag & drop website builders
4.CHOOSE A WEBSITE TEMPLATE DESIGN
A website template is a pre-made website design that you can just add to your website to instantly create a professional looking website without the need of hiring a website designer.
Think of templates as different variations or styles of clothes for websites.
It is the most simple, design-dummy proof and economical way of having a well-designed website and you don’t need to hire a professional designer to help you do this.
Most business owners believe that their only option is to hire a designer to create a custom design for their business website. Well, I’m here to bust that myth.
A good website designer has lots of value to add. I know because I am a website designer.
If you have a few thousand dollars laying around and don’t want to bother with creating the website yourself, then hiring a website designer might be the way to go.
But if you have a limited budget or want to be smart about creating a functional website that’s still professional looking, I would suggest to hold off on hiring a website designer if you’ve never built a business website before.
You need real data to create a user-friendly website that caters to your specific customers. Since this may be your first website (and potentially a new business), you will probably have no ideas how your customers actually experience your brand, what they are interested in, and how they interact with your website.
Without this crucial information, splurging on a custom design without fully understanding what your visitors are actually looking for and how they interact with your website can be a financial disaster.
We have firsthand experiences with building a custom website too early and that is why we recommend that you start with an inexpensive, pre-made website template to get started and understand what you really need for your website design.
This gives you a chance to better understand your website visitors, what they are looking for, and what is important / helpful to them.
After gathering and understanding this data, you can then consider investing in a custom website design that is built upon actual data of what works best for your business.
Keep in mind that you can always invest in custom-built design later once you figure out what you actually need, not what you think you need. It’s never too late for that.
How Do You Choose the Right Website Template Design?
We’ve created a how-to guide that shows you 3 simple rules that you can follow to pick the right template design for your business website.
See Guide here: How to Choose Your Perfect Website Template Design
Where to find website templates?
- If you are using a self-hosted website builder such as WordPress, you can find good WordPress templates at WooThemes and Mojo Marketplace.
- If you are using a fully managed website builder (such as Wix, Squarespace or Weebly), they will provide you with free website template designs. Here is a summary of each website builder’s template design selections:
|Website Builders||Template Design Assessment|
- Collection of Free Website Templates – drag & drop web builders offer you free templates to choose from. Check some of them out.
- How to Choose Your Perfect Website Template Design – How-to guide that shows you 3 simple rules that you can follow to pick the right template design for your website.
5.POPULATE YOUR WEBSITE WITH YOUR BUSINESS CONTENT & INFORMATION
Now it comes to the fun part – inserting content and images into your website.
This is the part where you will spend most of your time. Here are some resource guides that we put together that will make this process a lot easier and faster for you.
Top 7 Resources & Tools to Create Content & Images for Your Website:
- How to Design a Winning Home Page: See our guide on how to create an awesome, effective home page design layout. We have examples you can imitate & templates you can use.
- How to Make a Logo in 1 Minute – Without Any Design Skills: Learn how you can create professional logos without using fancy (and complicated) image editors like Photoshop.
- Where to Find High-Quality Images for Your Website on the Cheap: See which top 5 resources where you can find beautiful images to boost the professionalism of your website
- How to Edit Images Like a Pro All By Yourself – With an Online Photo Editor: Find which image editor are easy to use and require little to no technical at all.
- How to Choose a Good Color Scheme For Your Website: Picking the right color scheme for your website can help brand your business & influence your visitors’ psychology. See our guide on how to choose color.
- How to Pick the Perfect Font Style Design for your Website: Choosing the right font style design can hugely improve your overall website design & improve your visitors’ experiences. See how to pick the right font for your website here.
- How to Use Video Background On Your Website: Adding a video background to your website can make it look professional, trendy and “wow” your visitors. See how to add it, as well as do’s and don’ts.
Conclusion: How To Build a Business Website in 5 Easy Steps
Building your first business website or improving on an existing one doesn’t have to be overly complicated.
You can either approach it in a very complex way or keep things simpler by using the right tools with the right plan. A business website doesn’t need to be expensive or time-consuming to create.
Once you know what to do and which tools to use, building a business website can be a lot easier than you were led to believe.
With a good drag & drop website builder, you can build a professional looking and functional website in days or weeks while keeping your financial commitment under control, rather than spending months and thousands of dollars.
All the tools we’ve talked about in this guide offer you free plans or free trials. This allows you the option to test and see which one you prefer working with.
Found This Guide Helpful?