Feel like starting a lifestyle blog? An opportunity to get creative and share your life experiences and passions, lifestyle blogging can comes in many forms.
However, with around 600 million blogs online and 7 million blog posts being published a day, considering where to start might feel a little overwhelming at first. Don’t worry – we can help!
Whether you want to start a lifestyle blog as a hobby, or purely as a means to make some cash, we’ve put together 8 simple steps to get you started.
The term ‘lifestyle’ can feel broad, and many subjects could fall into this type of blogging: from beauty and self-care, to health and fitness. Therefore, to create content to target a certain audience, you’ll need to figure out what your ‘niche’ is – that is, what you can do to stand out from the crowd.
With a specific niche and a more narrow focus, it’ll be easier to attract your target audience, and do better than your competitors. There are a few simple steps that can really help:
- Figure out your passion, skillset and what aspects of your life can pull readers in.
- Explore other lifestyle blogs to find out what they’re doing online.
- Research competitors and have a think about what you can offer that’s unique.
- Carry out keyword research to see what your online audience is searching for with free online tools, such as Google Trends, Google Adwords, and Ubersuggests.
To become recognizable to readers, you’ll need to create a sense of identity. When you start to create your online brand, think not only about your target audience, but how you want them – and your blog’s readers at large – to see you. Know who you’re writing for, as well as what they like and want.
The following tips will help you get started:
- Pick your name and logo – make sure they’re easy to recognize and remember.
- Consider your tone of voice – this will need to be consistent, and appeal to your target audience.
- Think about how you want readers to perceive and remember your blog.
Once you’ve created your brand identity, it’s time to select your domain name.
A domain name is an address that’s unique to a specific website, that you type into a browser when you want to access said site. It’s important to get your domain name right at the start as it’ll affect your website traffic, so opt for something memorable and catchy, and that’s relevant to your niche. If you get this right, people will be more likely to remember your domain name – and to share it with their friends!
Next, it’s time to sign up to a blogging platform, where you’ll manage, create, and edit all of your lifestyle content, with templates to customize your blog and make it your own. There are so many user-friendly platforms available that you won’t even need to know how to code.
Here are the three website builders that we’d recommend for starting a lifestyle blog:
Squarespace is favored amongst bloggers, small businesses, and creatives, and it’s easy to see why. Prices start at $12 per month, and it comes with impressive templates that are ideal for visual blogs, as well as effective SEO tools to help surface your blog with relevant readers.
Used for blogging and online portfolios, Wix is straightforward and great for beginners. It costs around $14 per month, and it’s an intuitive site builder that’s full of user-friendly features and effective themes to get your lifestyle blog off the ground.
Weebly is one the the easiest website builders to use, and comes with hundreds of appealing design templates that would work for lifestyle content, as well as apps and features to help your blog grow. Prices for this builder start cheap, at around $6 per month.
Once you’ve selected your website builder, you’ll be asked to choose your monthly price plan, as well as enter your personal details and domain name before you can start customizing your blog. Then, you can start to get creative!
So, how can you add more functionality to your lifestyle blog? Luckily, website builders now allow you to install apps – such as social share icons and email marketing tools – which will make your lifestyle blog even more useful and engaging.
Here are some of the apps in each builder that you might find useful:
- Squarespace offers creative design apps such as Art of Where, as well as a number of sharing apps, all of which will make the site more visually appealing and easy to use.
- The Wix App Market also has hundreds of apps to choose from, including product review apps such as Editorify.
- Weebly also offers a wide selection from traffic-boosting apps to Weebly’s in-house selection, including payment buttons if you’re looking to monetize your blog.
Once you have a functioning theme in place, you can start creating pages. We’d recommend adding your static content first; a homepage, an ‘About me’ page, and a ‘Contact me’ page with details about yourself. The homepage creates that all-important first impression for visitors entering your blog, so it needs to grab their attention!
It’s also important to have a consistent frequency for posting your articles. Larger websites post new content every day, but if you can start with a few posts a week and gradually increase them, you’ll certainly be on the right track. Try tools like Google Sheets or CoSchedule to create an overview of your content schedule, and receive automated reminders of when to post.
Marketing your blog properly is vital for success, and putting effort into the key strategies involved will help you stand out from all the lifestyle bloggers out there.
We’ve rounded up several of our top digital marketing tips to help you focus on growth:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimisation): Once you start adding content, you’ll need to make sure that users can find your website. Focusing on SEO helps you do just that, boosting your rankings in Google’s search results. Start with some keyword research to get you going, but many website builders also offer built-in SEO tools, which are definitely worth trying out. For more info, check out our top blog SEO tips.
- Social media marketing: Over 52% of online brands are discovered via social media, so it’s vital to start building your presence across multiple social channels, such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Lifestyle blogs – with their focus on imagery and product – are also ideal candidates for social media marketing. So add social share buttons to your blog, then start posting and sharing!
- Email marketing: Try using an email opt-in tool to capture email addresses from your readers, and initiate regular contact. If you plan to monetize your lifestyle blog and sell products to readers, this will help you in the long run.
Lifestyle blogging is more popular than ever, and can be the perfect way to channel your creativity and passion – not to mention create a lucrative venture while you’re at it! With our help, and a little time and commitment of your own, you’ll be well on your way to starting a thriving lifestyle blog.
Here’s a quick look at those 8 key steps on how to start a lifestyle blog:
- Find your niche
- Create a brand
- Buy a domain name
- Sign up to a blogging platform
- Choose and customize a theme
- Install apps
- Plan and create your food blog’s content
- Promote your food blog