This website builder review chart compares key features based on our opinion & feedback from other users:
Easiest to Use
|Websites Powered ||100m||1m+||40m||20m||N/A||11m|
|Ease of Use||5 / 5||4 / 5||5 / 5||4 / 5||4 / 5||4 / 5|
|Design Assistant (AI) ||✓ ||X||X||X||X||X|
|Design Flexibility ||4.5 / 5||5 / 5||4.5 / 5||4 / 5||4 / 5||3 / 5|
|Themes Design ||4.5 / 5||5 / 5||3.5 / 5||3 / 5||4 / 5||4 / 5|
|Responsive Themes ||X||✓ ||✓ ||✓ ||X||X|
|Mobile Editor ||✓||X ||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Free Plan?||✓||14 Days Trial||✓||✓||X||✓|
|Free Custom Domain ||✓ ||✓||✓||✓ ||✓ ||X|
|Free SSL Security ||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||X|
|SEO ||5 / 5||5 / 5||4.5 / 5||3 / 5||3 / 5||1 / 5|
|Export Website ||X||✓||✓||X||X ||✓|
|Restore Website ||✓||✓||X ||X||✓||X|
|Blogging ||4.5 / 5||5 / 5||4.5 / 5||3 / 5||3 / 5||1 / 5|
|e-Commerce ||5 / 5||3.5 / 5||4.5 / 5||4 / 5||0 / 5||0 / 5|
|Email Service ||X||✓ ||X||Upgrade||Upgrade||Upgrade|
|Newsletter Creator ||✓||X||✓||X||X||X|
|Membership Creator ||✓||X||✓||X||X||X|
|Mobile Apps ||✓||✓||✓||✓||X||X|
|Multiple Editors ||✓||✓||✓||X||X||X|
4.8 / 5 Stars
4.6 / 5 Stars
4.4 / 5 Stars
3.5 / 5 Stars
3.0 / 5 Stars
2.2 / 5 Stars
|See our Detailed Review||Wix Review||Squarespace Review||Weebly Review||Jimdo Review||GoDaddy Review||IM Creator Review|
We highly recommend you read our detailed reviews for each website builder as we cover each builder in much more depth in those reviews.
 Websites Powered – Number of websites powered (in millions) by each website builder is based on publicly available information. This does not necessarily equal to the number of active websites, or the number of paying customers, but will give you an indication of its size.
 Design Assistant (AI – Artificial Intelligence):
Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) is an AI program that acts like a design assistant for you. It will automatically create the first draft of your website design and layout, insert your content and create a professional looking website for you, automatically. You can continue to edit your website after Wix ADI completes the first draft of your website.
 Design Flexibility – Refers to flexibility of where you can place content, access to HTML / CSS codes to make further customizations or extent of tools provided by website builder to make modifications to design
- Wix has a very large library of professionally designed themes that spans across a lot of different industries, so it’s easy to find one that’s suitable for you.
- Squarespace themes are responsive and polished – by far the best amongst its peers.
- Weebly’s themes used to be average, but they have improved significantly over time.
If you want your web design to look good, click here to see a collection of free beautiful, professional themes.
 Responsive Themes:
- All Squarespace themes are mobile responsive and as such, all your website content will display nicely across mobile devices.
- Weebly is adding more and more responsive themes over time. They also have over a hundred older themes that are not mobile responsive, but are available for you to choose from. You can use Weebly’s mobile editor to configure the mobile layout for these older themes.
- Jimdo converted all their themes to become mobile responsive, and they currently have 15 themes for you to choose from.
 Mobile Editor:
- Wix & GoDaddy mobile editors allow you to hide specific content on your mobile display while keeping these content displayed on your desktop version of your site. This gives you the flexibility to have more control over your visitors’ experience while they are surfing your site on their mobile devices.
- Squarespace doesn’t need a mobile editor as their design themes are fully responsive – meaning your website design is automatically optimized to look good on any mobile devices.
- If you know a bit of code, Jimdo gives you access to edit the CSS codes of your mobile site – an added flexibility.
 Pricing – Monthly pricing based on annual plans. Monthly price will be a bit higher if you enrolled on month-to-month payment plans. Pricing plans should not be compared directly based on pricing, as each website builder offers different features for their own plans. We have in-depth discussion about pricing plans for Wix, Squarespace and Weebly here. We also have more discussions about the cost of building a website here.
 Free Domain – For web builders that offer you free custom domain names, you have to sign up to their annual plans.
- For Wix, you only get a free domain name if you sign up to their Combo or higher plans.
- For Jimdo, you get 2 free domain names with their Business Plan, and 1 free domain name with their Pro Plan.
Not sure how domain names work? See our domain name guide for beginners.
 SSL Security – A website with SSL security certificate ensures the connection between your visitors’ web browser and your website is encrypted, secure and protects your visitors’ information when they use your website. Having your website encrypted also improves your Google search rankings (SEO).
- Wix, Squarespace & Jimdo – Free SSL certificates across all plans.
- Weebly – SSL certificates included only for the Business and Performance plans.
- GoDaddy – SSL certificates included only for the Business, Business Plus and Online Store plans.
- Wix allows page level control, including H1 to H6 titles, and you can customize your webpages’ URL (webpage address) so search engines will better understand the purpose of your pages. Wix is also specifically highlighted in the Google Webmaster Guidelines (next to WordPress), answering a common question as to whether Wix is search engine friendly. Click here to see a full overview of Wix’s SEO capabilities.
- Squarespace gives you full control over page titles, meta descriptions, and custom webpage URL. It also has the “Google Author Rank” built into your profile to improve your search engine exposure & site indexing. This is automatically done so you don’t have to manually insert snippets of codes into your site which is very convenient.
- Weebly allows page level control and the ability for you to customize your webpage URL, but no H1 title tags (on page level). Do note that if you don’t upgrade to a paid Weebly plan, your website will not be indexed by search engines.
- Jimdo only allows page level title and meta description controls if you upgrade.
- IM Creator only allows you site wide SEO configuration, but not on a page level.
Want more discussions about SEO? See our Website Builder SEO guide here.
 Export Website:
- Squarespace websites can be exported into WordPress, allowing you to edit your content in WordPress without knowing codes.
- For Weebly and IM Creator, you can export HTML / CSS codes to upload into your own host. But to edit your site, you will need to modify the codes yourself.
 Restore Website:
- Wix allows you to save unlimited versions of your website so you can restore your entire website anytime, even weeks after you’ve made a mistake.
- Squarespace allows you to restore deleted pages & blog posts, up to 30 days after they’ve been deleted.
- Weebly allows you to undo changes, but once you exit the editor or publish your website, you cannot undo any changes. If you’ve accidentally deleted your website or pages, you’ll need to email Weebly & wait for them to restore the deletions. So unlike Wix or Squarespace, you can’t recover your deletions immediately.
- Wix’s phone support is available across all plans (including the free plan) which is fantastic, and if you are a VIP plan user, you get access to their “VIP Team”.
- Squarespace provides 24/7 email support and answers you within 1 hour. Live chat support (Squarespace & Weebly) only available during daytime.
- Weebly also recently introduced phone support.
- Wix integrates Facebook commenting system and you can style your blog background, which is an added flexibility.
- Squarespace allows you to schedule when to publish your post (so you can write ahead of time). It can also connect & automatically publish your blog post on your Facebook & Twitter accounts. Squarespace has the “Google Author Rank” built into your profile (to improve your search engine & blog indexing), a spam blocker, built in integration with Disqus commenting system (if you don’t want to use Squarespace’s commenting system), and has multiple author support for guest postings.
- Weebly also allows you to schedule when to publish your post, as a spam blocker, as well as allowing you to choose between Disqus, Facebook or their own commenting system, giving you a bit more flexibility on which platform you’d like to use. IM Creator does not offer a blog system, so you need to set up your own blog elsewhere (such as on Tumblr or WordPress).
 e-Commerce – If you are building an online store, see our e-commerce builder comparison chart. Even though Wix has decent e-commerce tools, you can access even more powerful tools through the Wix App Market (our review), allowing you to bolt on powerful e-commerce platforms such as Shopify (our review) or Ecwid. Currently, GoDaddy and IM Creator do not offer any e-commerce features – but you can use 3rd party e-commerce software such as the Shopify Buy Button or Ecwid to add e-commerce function to your website.
 Email Service:
- For Wix and Weebly, you can get your own custom email address through Google Business Apps (Gmail, but for businesses) for about $4 per month.
- For Squarespace, if you sign up to their Annual Business or Commerce plans, you get one year free Google Business App to power your business email. This email account can be renewed for about $5 per month or $50 per year after your first year of free service.
- For Jimdo, GoDaddy and IM Creator – “Upgrade” means that email service is only included if you upgrade to the web builder’s premium plans.
 Newsletter Creator:
- Wix’s newsletter creator is called Shoutout, which allows you to import email addresses from your Gmail or Outlook / Hotmail. You can also automatically insert addresses of people who has contacted you through your contact form, or those who purchased products from you.
- To help you capture or collect your visitors’ email addresses, Wix has a lightbox or popup function to grab your visitors’ attention.
- Weebly’s newsletter creator is called Weebly Promote, and it is also synchronized to your contact list within Weebly. Both Wix and Weebly’s newsletter services are free if you are using their platforms to build your website. There are options to upgrade if you need additional features / emails to be sent out.
 Membership Creator – Wix and Weebly allows you to create a membership log in function, where your visitors can register to become members of your website. You can restrict webpages where only your members have access to them. This is a helpful tool if you want to create private clubs / classes, or just restrict content from being accessible by the public.
- With Wix, you just add on their Member Login app (from their App Market) to your Wix site and you can create an unlimited number of memberships. W
- With Weebly, you can have up to 100 members with their Pro Plan or unlimited members with their Business Plan.
 Mobile Apps:
- Wix has a mobile app where you can create and manage blog posts, manage your online store (track orders, add / edit products, receive sales notifications), interact with your visitors (get notifications when you receive a message, when someone books an appointment, etc.), or even start live chatting with your website visitors when they are on your website! Wix also has a mobile app for their newsletter function (Wix ShoutOut app), allowing you to create newsletter directly on your mobile device to send to your newsletter subscribers.
- Squarespace as 4 mobile apps, allowing you to write blog posts, manage comments, monitor traffic, track social followers, showcase your galleries / portfolio as a presentation on your iPad / iPhone, and a note app so you can keep track of your ideas which syncs with your website, Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
- The Weebly App allows you to build your entire website (with their iPad app), write blog posts, manage comments, monitor traffic, and manage products & get sales notifications for your online store (using the iPhone & Android app). With the iPad app, you can even create your Weebly site offline (without internet connection) so you can work anywhere.
- Jimdo’s mobile App allows you to build / update your entire site (including blog posts) and monitor your traffic. It is the only App that allows you to build an entire website through the App.
 Multiple Editors – Wix, Squarespace & Weebly allow you to add editors with different levels of access / authority rights to help you manage your website. You can set limits so some editors can’t access all parts of your website. This is a very handy tool if you plan on having a team to help you manage and/or build your site.
Found This Chart Helpful?
Question – Did this chart benefit you? Leave a comment below.
Do you know anyone who can benefit from this chart? Send them this page, or click on the share buttons on the left.
You’ll be helping us out by spreading the word about our website, and you’ll be helping them out!