Weebly Review Highlights
- Easiest drag & drop website builder to use – Very painless way to build your website
- Good looking templates to make your site professional – with access to HTML / CSS codes if you need more design flexibility
- Solid e-commerce tools that is fully integrated into the website builder
Weebly is a very user friendly, robust and reliable website builder.
If you are looking to build a business website or even a personal website to showcase your hobbies or interests, Weebly can help you accomplish your goals with very little technical knowledge on your part – we’ll discuss this in great depth in this Weebly review.
Weebly is a drag and drop website builder, so you literally drag website building blocks (such as a picture or a paragraph) into your screen when you are building a website.
By far, Weebly is the easiest website builder to use. It’s very user-friendly and intuitive to use – you don’t have to know any codes at all and you can still build a good website.
Feedback from Weebly users is that they are very satisfied with building websites with Weebly given it’s comprehensive website building tools, ease of use, at very affordable prices (free for most people).
Weebly currently powers over 25 million websites, equivalent to more than 2% (and growing) of the websites on the internet are currently run on Weebly – that’s very impressive considering there are a lot of websites across the entire internet!
Click on the following links to read the specific sections:
4. Ease of Use
1. WEEBLY REVIEW – TOP 3 PROS AND CONS
- One of the easiest and user friendly drag & drop website builder in the market – They don’t overwhelm you excessive number of tools, but all the strong basics to build a functional website. Weebly’s user interface is very intuitive to use, which is good for all levels of users. You can literally build a good website in less than an hour.
- Free to use – Weebly’s free platform provides you enough tools to build a functional website (even when you’re not paying a dime, which is awesome). There is no pressure to upgrade to the paid platform, but only if you want to. No credit card information is required to sign up for a free account, and there is no time limit to the free account – you can use it forever if you want to.
- Broad range of templates allows you to build a professional looking website. You get access to all the templates from Weebly (even with a free account) and they are adding more designs on a regular basis. Weebly also grants you access to their HTML / CSS editor so you can modify the website design as you wish (or hire someone to help you do this). Very flexible indeed.
- Not designed for complex e-commerce needs – If you are looking to build an online shop with a lot of products, Weebly’s e-commerce tools are not advanced enough yet to help you manage your online shop needs (such as multiple product displays, inventory tracking, item options, different payment option other than PayPal, customization of emails to confirm orders). However, there are third party shopping carts that you can integrate into a Weebly website to supplement this – Weebly is flexible enough to support this. [See our other website builders for more advanced shopping cart functions][UPDATE – Weebly launched a brand new eCommerce solution in November 2013 which makes their eCommerce features some of the best amongst website builders (click here to see our detailed review)]
- Limited number of designer-caliber templates – The quality of Weebly’s templates is relatively average when compared to other website builders. However, they are ramping up their designs and are getting much better at this – so they are improving. There are also third party Weebly templates providers which really help. [Wix and Squarespace has much more attractive designer templates. See our Wix vs Weebly review as well.]
- Page restrictions for Free and Starter plans – if you were only to use the Free plan, or even the Starter plan (paid), there are page creation restrictions. With the free plan, you can only create up to 5 pages. With the Starter plan, you can only create up to 10 pages. To be able to create unlimited pages, you will need to subscribe to either the Pro or Business plans (more details about Weebly’s pricing plans below). With other website builders, you can create unlimited pages for free (except for Squarespace where their lowest plans allow you to create up to 20 pages, which is still a lot more than Weebly). So if you plan on creating a lot of pages, this is something you should factor into your considerations. [UPDATE – Weebly has removed any page limits now. So you can create unlimited pages across all their plans, including the free plan!]
See what other leading experts are saying about Weebly
2. WEEBLY REVIEW VIDEO
3. IS WEEBLY IDEAL FOR YOU?
“Weebly is really easy to use, and suitable for all ranges of businesses, personal sites or e-commerce stores.”
Based on our review, Weebly is ideal for small businesses, photographers, designers, personal websites, online stores.
Essentially, if you want to build a good looking and functional website quickly and painlessly so you can focus on other things, Weebly is a good choice for you.
Weebly is literally the easiest website builder to use in the market at the moment. You don’t need to know how to write any code whatsoever, as Weebly is designed specifically for for you if can’t be bothered to learn code, yet enable you to build your own website with ease.
But if you don know a bit of code, this can definitely be an asset as they allow you to edit your website’s HTML and CSS to make even more customizations if you want to.
4. IS WEEBLY EASY TO USE?
“Building your website is as simple as drag & drop. You can literally watch your own website being built in front of you.”
Weebly is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) website builder, meaning you build the entire website right in front of you and what you see when you are building, is what actually shows up after you publish the website.
There is no flipping back and forth between editing mode and preview mode to see how your website will actually look after publishing.
Based no our review, Weebly is one of the most intuitive and easy to use website builders we’ve tested. As mentioned, they don’t offer you all sorts of bells and whistles to try to impress you. They keep it simple, minimalistic and effective, that’s why we like Weebly.
5. TEMPLATE DESIGN OPTIONS
“Weebly has been releasing new, stylish design templates – enabling you to create professional looking websites.”
Weebly started off with mediocre design templates a few years ago, and users have consistently requested that Weebly “upgrade” the quality of their templates.
Since then, Weebly has been creating more and more template designs that are much better than the previous templates – so they are improving (click here to see their template designs).
Weebly also gives you access to their HTML / CSS editor so if you want, you can also customize the website’s design there (or hire someone to help you). It’s a very nice option to have if you really want a customized design.
There are also third party templates providers out there that give you more design options and choices at affordable prices – take a look at this template marketplace.
Overall, there are plenty of good quality options for designing your Weebly website.
6. SUPPORT / TUTORIALS / COMMUNITY RESOURCES
“Weebly provides email & live chat support. Given they’re quite easy to use, you probably won’t need as much support as other complex web builders.”
Weebly Customer Support
Based on our experiences and users feedback, Weebly’s support team is responsive and will answer all emails. They have a small team that is servicing a very large group of users, so be patient on the response time. Additional support channels include posting your questions on their Facebook page or even contacting them via Twitter.
[Update – Weebly recently introduced live chat service in which is accessible through their Support Center, so you to ask them questions on the spot which is great. Although this service is only available from Monday to Friday, 11am – 9pm Eastern Standard Time, this is a much needed support which shows that they are starting to dedicate even more resources to supporting Weebly users.]
Weebly also now offer phone support which is very helpful as well. They didn’t have this before but given their growth spurt and to remain competitive with other website builders such as Wix (who also offer phone support), this is a very positive initiative for Weebly.
Based on or experiences and review, Weebly is responsive when it comes to supporting their users. They don’t have the capacity to handhold each person (such as one-on-one phone calls), but given Weebly’s existing support services, friendly and intuitive user interface, you really don’t have to be a technical guru use Weebly proficiently.
Weebly Tutorial Resources
Weebly also has an online Support Center which is basically a “How To Guide” to use their tools to build your website.
If you want to learn a few more advanced tips and tricks, DivTag Templates has interesting Weebly tutorials which you can receive for free. DivTag Templates is a premium Weebly designer templates provider (they’re one of the third party independent Weebly templates provider we mentioned above).
Weebly Community Forum
One of the things that some other website builders have is a community forum, where users can exchange ideas, post questions and find answers to questions that have already been asked. Weebly does not have such a forum yet. It’s a “nice to have”, but not absolutely important when it comes to influencing how good of a website you can build.
7. WEEBLY MEMBERSHIP CREATION FUNCTION
“Weebly allows you to create your own membership club, where you have full control over who gets to see what pages.”
One of the neat functions that Weebly offers you is the ability to create a membership gateway, so that only your registered members can have access to certain restricted pages (that you have full control of).
This is especially helpful to you if you want to create a private membership club of some sort, share private information with selected members, create courses for students, or just want to block certain content from the general public.
While you might not need this specific function to run your website, it’s something nice to have for sure.
To use Weebly’s membership creation tool, you will have to be at least a Weebly Pro or Business plan subscriber (more discussion on pricing plans below).
With the Pro plan, you can signup up to 100 members. However, your visitors who want to become members won’t be able to sign up through a registration button on your website. This means that in order for these visitors to become members of your site, you have to invite or add them manually. In our view, while it’s nice that you can have up to 100 membership, these features are really quite limited.
But once you upgrade to their Business plan, you can have unlimited members, and you can have a membership registration button directly on your Weebly website so your visitors can sign up themselves – which is a nice feature.
The registration button can either be placed directly on your menu bar, or you can create a pop up box so that when your visitors click on a button or link, a sign up form will appear for them to sign up to become members.
You can either manually or automatically approve each membership application, and you receive a notification email from Weebly once you have a new member sign up.
With the membership function, you can create membership groups, control permissions for pages so that only your members can see certain pages. You can have a dedicated members log in page for your members, and it also comes with basic functions such as password reset.
One thing that’s missing at the moment, is the ability for you to charge your members for a membership fee. Hopefully this is something that will come in future updates!
8. WHY IS WEEBLY MOBILE SPECIAL?
“Weebly automatically takes your website and creates a mobile version of it. You also get to preview it.”
Weebly offers a “Mobile” function where it takes your website, and automatically compresses it to fit into a mobile phone display. You get to preview your mobile optimized site so you know what your visitors will see, and you also get to drag and drop elements into the mobile editor which is pretty cool.
We have a dedicated full review of Weebly’s Mobile Editor here. In the review, we’ll also compare it to the mobile editor of other website builders to see how Weebly stands.
9. WEEBLY SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
“Weebly covers all the basic SEO settings – right on par with other website builders.”
We’ve seen arguments that website builders perform very poorly in search engine rankings. However, we have also seen many Weebly websites rank very well in Google (first page rankings) and we have personally built Weebly websites that have also ranked on first pages of search results.
So don’t let others discourage you – just because they can’t do it, doesn’t mean you can’t either! SEO is about planning, technique and persistence, but that’s beyond the scope of this review.
Weebly allows you to insert all the basic SEO functions, such as descriptions, titles and keywords for each web page.
You can also insert Google Analytics to start tracking your website visitor statistics as well. Alternatively, Weebly also provides a website statistics dashboard which tracks page views and unique visitors on your behalf from the past 30 days.
Weebly Pro users also get important information such as most visited pages, search terms (what keywords your visitors used to discover your website) and referring sites (which website referred your visitor to you).
We recommend using a combination of Google Analytics and Weebly’s own tracking to maximize the usefulness of the information.
10. HOSTING AND EXPORT OPTIONS
“Weebly takes care of all your hosting & technical needs – so you can focus on building your site.”
Weebly hosts all the websites for you, even if you are using their free platform, so you do not have to pay for hosting separately.
The advantage is that they manage the entire process for you so you can concentrate on building your website and focusing on other more important things (such as life!)
Weebly takes care of all the security upgrades for hosts and do all the techie stuff to ensure your website is always up and running, and doesn’t get hacked.
One important benefit that makes Weebly stands out is that they allow you to export / archive your website. So if you ever want to export your website to another host, you can be free to do so.
It’s nice when a website builder doesn’t hold you hostage – that’s a nice touch. Here is a quick video tutorial on how to export a Weebly website and import it into another host.
11. PRICING – IS IT WORTH THE INVESTMENT?
“Weebly enables you to build a website even if you don’t know how to code. You get really great value from Weebly especially if you don’t want to pay a developer thousands of dollars to build a site for you.”
You can use Weebly for free, and have access to all the basic tools you will need to build a website. They don’t impose a time limit if you sign up for a free website, so you can build and have a free website for as long as Weebly is still around!
But if you want to use their Business Plan, upgrade to Weebly Pro or Weebly Starter plan, which gives you access to more features and tools, you have that option as well.
As mentioned under the “Pros & Cons” section above, the free plan only allows you to create up to 5 pages, and the Starter plan allows you to create up to 10 pages. If you subscribe to the Pro or Business plans, you can create unlimited pages.
[UPDATE – You can now created unlimited pages across all of Weebly’s plans, including the free plan. So there are no more limits as to how many pages you want to create!]
Currently, you can sign up for Weebly Business for $20.79 per month, Weebly Pro for as low as $8.29 per month or Weebly Starter plan for as low as $4.96 per month, which is about 68 cents per day, 27 cents per day or 16 cents per day, respectively Not bad considering most people probably spend way more than that on a cup of coffee or chocolate bar everyday.
Note that the prices are based on their 2 years plan. For their 6 months or 1 year plan, the prices are a bit higher:
So the 2 years plan gives you the best pricing per month.
The Business Plan is decided for for users who want to create a comprehensive e-commerce online store. So if you have plans to build a business and sell products online, Weebly e-Commerce (Business Plan) is an excellent option. See our review on their e-Commerce tools.
Weebly Pro & Starter Plan Features – see our discussion of what you get with Weebly Pro
12. WEEBLY REVIEW – CONCLUSION / RECOMMENDATION
Based on our Weebly review, it is our opinion that Weebly is the easiest website builders to use at the moment. Their user interface is minimalistic, so it is designed intentionally to not overwhelm you.
Weebly’s difficulty level is rated as “Low” – it is suitable for users of all technical skill levels (even if you are an absolute beginner).
A good approach is to start with a free website, familiarize yourself with their tools and how easy or difficult it is for you to use Weebly, then make your decision to upgrade or not.
Keep in mind that there is no time limit to use their free services.
HELPFUL TIP: See our expert analysis on Weebly Pro and Weebly Starter Plans, and how to get them for free.
Found This Review Helpful?
Leave a comment below; or
Share it with your friends – Tweet, Like, Follow, Pin us below.
The biggest compliment we can receive from you is a Share!