Wix Review Highlights
- Hundreds of beautiful & professional templates for different industries (You’ll find one that fits your needs)
- Pure drag & drop website builder – insert any content anywhere (Maximum flexibility)
- Comprehensive support – email, phone, knowledgebase help center, forum support
If building a beautiful and interactive website is a priority for you, based on our Wix review, Wix is a good website builder candidate for you to consider. If you have a look at some of the website examples that are created by Wix, they’re beautiful and professional.
It’s pleasantly surprising that these websites are created by non-professional web designers – which is why Wix is a builder that you may want to test.
Specifically, Wix will work well for photographers, designers, restaurant & hospitality related websites, musicians or small businesses. As a general rule of thumb, if you like to have a lot of pictures in your website, you may want to test out Wix (for free) – just to see it works for your individual needs.
In our Wix review, we found that they offer you a lot of different functions, which results in a slightly steeper learning curve. But it’s not bad at all, as it only took me about 20 minutes to get a really good handle on its functions, as their “Help” function is well thought out and works really well (more below).
Wix currently has over 50 million registered users, with about 45,000 new users joining everyday. That’s an incredible feat and there are good reasons for this.
Here are some stories of Wix users which shows you what they are able to do with this website builder.
[If you try out Wix and you like it, we also have an upgrade coupon for you later in this article]
Wix is already a powerful design and promotional tool that users worldwide are using to build successful and marketable websites. Building a website should be as effortless as everything else the web now offers, and Wix is about giving you the freedom to design the website you want with great looking results. It’s your personality, with a professional quality. – Avishai Abrahami, Wix CEO & Founder
Click on the following links to read the specific sections:
WIX REVIEW - TOP 3 PROS AND CONS
- Professional looking templates – Wix offers over 280 professional looking templates or you could create your own custom design. Some of these pre-made templates are much more beautiful than what you get from other website builders. If you’re not the creative type and need help in building a beautiful design, Wix’s pre-made templates will really help you get started.
- Intuitive Drag & Drop interface – The way to create your website with Wix is based on a drag & drop interface. Pick what you need (image, slideshows, text, etc) and position them wherever you want without any restrictions. Although there are easier website builders in the market, overall, I found Wix pretty simple to pick up as the interface is quite intuitive.
- Support and help available everywhere – One of the things that I really like about Wix is that they have help / support buttons everywhere, and they have phone support. You can click on the main help button at the top of the page, or each element in the website has its own unique help button – this is very helpful as the support article directly addresses that specific component which I need help on, so I don’t have to search through their database. This can save you a lot of time. You also get access to phone support where you can schedule for a Wix specialist to call you back. If you sign up to their VIP plan, you get first priority call backs.
- Visible advertisements on the free platform – If you are using Wix’s free website builder, it includes advertisement logos on the side and at the bottom of the website after you publish. All free website builders have their own advertisement credits (understandable since they’re providing services for free) but Wix’s are really quite prominent. To remove the advertisements, you will need to upgrade to at least their “Combo” premium package. But of course, you can still try Wix for free to see if you like it, before deciding to upgrade or not. [Note: If you want to use a free website builder with a very small advertisement, check out Weebly. We also compare Wix vs Weebly's advertisement here]
- Can’t change templates – Although Wix has a lot of pre-made designer templates for you to choose from, one of the drawbacks is that once you’ve picked a template to use, you can’t switch to another template. One way to reduce this risk is try out a few templates before committing to one. It’s a bit annoying, but not a “deal-killer”.
- Not designed to manage complex e-commerce needs – If you want to build an online shop, Wix’s e-commerce tools are not advanced enough to help you fully manage your store. But to be fair, they do have better e-commerce tools than most standard website builders, but the biggest piece that Wix is missing is the ability to automatically send confirmation emails out to your customers after they pay, configure taxes and shipping costs, and just general management of orders such as marking orders as shipped or paid. These are manual labor intensive tasks which could be automated, but unfortunately, will still exist if you use Wix’s e-commerce functions. [UPDATE: Wix has since introduced more advanced e-commerce tools. These include allowing you to configure your own shipping & handling fees based on shipping destinations and the product price range. You can even set shipping & handling fees based on which state you are shipping to, allowing you to have more granular control over this. You can also set up tax rates based on your shipping destination (you can set up different tax rates for different countries and states). Once you have shipped your products, you can also mark each order as "complete", allowing you to track which orders are still open and needs to be fulfilled.]
WIX REVIEW VIDEO
WIX IS IDEAL FOR….
Based on our Wix review, if you are a photographer, designer, musician, in the restaurant & hospitality industry, or a small business owner who want to build a website that’s creative, Wix may meet your needs.
Most website builders only allow you to build static pages, but Wix allows you to transition between web pages interactively (such as shifting the pages across the screen from one page to the next). This in combination with visually impressive images can really set your website apart from others.
Having an interactive website is a definite advantage when it comes to impressing your visitors and keeping them on your website longer. We all like good looking websites (in addition to good content of course) – it’s vain, but true.
EASE OF USE
Wix is a true drag and drop website builder as you can insert elements pretty much anywhere on the website.
It is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) website builder, meaning whatever you insert into the website editor, will show up the same way once the website is published.
As I mentioned in the Wix review Pros and Cons overview above, one of the features that I really liked is that there are help buttons everywhere, even down to the individual element that I’m using. So you get specific and targeted tutorials on the element that you are using, and not just some generic help page. This is a very nice touch from Wix.
Overall, even though Wix is not the most minimalistic website builder in the market and that it took me a few more minutes to get a good handle on things, I thought that their tools are comprehensive and useful. Furthermore, their help / support buttons works really well.
TEMPLATE DESIGN OPTIONS
My initial reaction when I saw Wix’s available templates is “wow”. They all look like designer templates and are available for free Wix users.
Wix has over 280 HTML5-based templates and a handful of flash-based templates available for use. Historically, Wix was known to be a flash-based website builder. They have now shifted heavily to HTML5-based templates which is the right direction since HTML5 templates are more SEO friendly and they are also compatible with Apple mobile devices (such as iPhones, iPads and iPods).
Having said that, you can either use one of Wix’s pre-made templates as a basis to build your website, or you can start with a blank canvas. But I would suggest you start with their pre-made templates since they have all the webpage layouts structured already, and you just need to insert your own images and text. This saves you a lot of time (versus creating your own design) and it’s especially helpful if you are unsure of your design capabilities.
As mentioned in the Wix Review Pros and Cons section above, one of the drawbacks of Wix templates is that once you select a template, you cannot change it to another template. So it’s best to test out the a few templates first, before starting to insert your own content (such as text and pictures) as if you want to switch designs later, you will have to re-insert your content.
Another drawback is that Wix do not allow you access to edit the HTML or CSS codes. So if you want to make very specific design tweaks through codes, this option is not available yet. But if you are not comfortable with codes, this is irrelevant to you.
Overall, Wix offers a broad range of very stylish designs, and they are particularly helpful to those who need a starting point to build a beautiful website, or for those who don’t want to create a design from scratch.
SUPPORT / TUTORIALS / COMMUNITY RESOURCES
Wix Customer Support
If you need to have questions answered, you can post your questions in their forum and they will answer them within the forum. This is actually surprisingly helpful as this will put public accountability on their support team to answer your question as soon as possible – which they do.
Wix also offers you email & phone support where you can schedule a time for a Wix specialist to call you back. If you are a VIP plan user, you get first priority.
We have more detailed discussion on Wix’s forum below.
Wix Tutorial Resources
Wix has a Support Center which walks you through all the steps in setting up domain name, email, online store, Wix Mobile, stats and other basic Wix editor tools.
Overall, their Support Center is comprehensive and has a search bar so you can quickly find relevant help topics.
One really helpful aspect of Wix’s support function is that they offer a lot of video tutorial walk-throughs, in addition to text-based tutorials. So you have the option to read through the tutorials or watch them in video format.
As mentioned, Wix features a lot of help buttons directly on individual elements when you are building your website. This is helpful as you don’t have to search through their library of support articles as the relevant help is just 1-click away.
Wix Community Forum
Based on our review, this is one of Wix’s best features – a comprehensive, helpful and active forum. If you have questions, you can quickly search within the forum to see if their support staff has answered the same questions before. You can save a lot of time using this approach.
As mentioned above, posting your questions in the forum also applies accountability pressure on Wix’s support team to get back to you as soon as possible – since the questions will be made public for all to see. If you have a look through their forum, you can see that their support team has been very responsive which is a good sign of a healthy community.
WIX MOBILE DISPLAY
Wix offers you a very unique mobile editor, as they allow you to build a completely separate, dedicated mobile site that has the flexibility to be completely different from your desktop site. This allows you to control your visitors’ mobile experiences, which most other website builders do not offer.
You can also insert your phone number in which you visitors can “touch” it and it will automatically call you. This is especially helpful if you are a business, as you’re making it easy for your visitors to contact you.
We have a dedicated full review of Wix’s Mobile Editor here. In the review, we’ll also compare it to the mobile editor of other website builders to see how Wix stands.
WIX APP MARKET
One of the key differentiation between Wix and other website builders is that they have an App Market with 180 Apps for you to integrate into your Wix website.
These Apps include tools and services that extend Wix’s functionality to help you build a better, more function website. These apps are 1-click, hassle-free installation of tools provided by external services providers.
Most website builders do not offer app markets for their users, which is why this makes Wix even more interesting.
WIX SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Wix is a bit unique when it comes to SEO since they allow you to build either a HTML5-based website or a flash-based website.
Basically, HTML based websites are better for SEO as search engine crawlers can crawl through the codes to understand what your website is about and rank you accordingly.
Search engines cannot rank flash-based websites and as such, historically, flash-based websites do perform poorly in search engine rankings. This is one of the key reasons why Wix has progressed so much in enhancing their HTML5-based websites.
Wix allows you to optimize all the basic SEO functions, such as descriptions, titles and keywords for each web page. This is no different from other website builders in the market, so it’s right on par.
You can also insert Google Analytics to start tracking your website visitor statistics as well.Try Wix for Free
HOSTING AND EXPORT OPTIONS
Wix provides free hosting for all the websites for you, so you don’t have to pay extra for that, even if you are not using their premium packages.
This is helpful so you don’t have to worry about managing hosting services as it can be technical (and a bit scary!) This way, you can focus on other more important things while Wix manages technical issues such as security upgrades, and ensuring that your website is always working properly.
One downside of Wix is that they don’t have an export or archive feature. So basically, you can’t take the website out of Wix if you decide you want to leave them. One of the main reasons is that they have unique website building technology that won’t function properly outside of their own environment. So once you disconnect the website from Wix, some functions will no longer work and other hosts cannot adapt to those functions.
Our recommendation is that if you’re interested in Wix, try it for free to see if it fits your needs. This way, you can decide whether you would like to commit.
PRICING – IS IT WORTH THE INVESTMENT?
Wix is available for you to try for free, which is nice as it allows you to spend a little bit of time to test it out to see if it suits your needs, before committing. There is no time limit as to how long you can try them for, so there is no pressure to upgrade.
Wix has 5 different levels of premium packages. As you move up the packages you get access to more features. The packages start from $6.90 per month to $29.90 per month. If you sign up for an annual plan, you can save from 17% to 41% per year, depending on which package you select. [We also have an official coupon code for you below to save more]
Some people believe that Wix’s price points for their Premium Plans are towards the high end. However, once you’ve had a chance to experience what Wix’s platform is capable of creating, this might change your opinion.
Consider if you decide not to use Wix and get your own hosting services, this will cost you from $4 to 6 per month for basic shared services. Further, you will need to purchase your own domain name which will cost you from $10 – $12 per year. With the VIP, eCommerce, Unlimited and Combo plans, Wix gives you a free domain name of your choice. But what’s more important is that you should consider how much time it will cost you to figure everything out.
You will then have to deal with all the technical aspects of things, such as getting your website linked to your host, worry about security updates, designing your own website (you won’t get the professional Wix themes), learning how to populate your site with content as you won’t have access to Wix’s drag and drop tools. Basically, you’ll need to figure out how to build a website from scratch and this can be quite challenging if you are not technical. Wix includes all these services in their plans, which frees up your time for more important things.
All things considered, if you are serious about having an online presence and building a great looking and functional website, Wix’s premium packages is not extraordinarily expensive considering all the support and website building functions you receive from them.
If you subscribe to their Premium Plans, Wix offers you a 14-day risk-free trial period to test out their premium platform – this completely removes the financial risk from you.
WIX REVIEW – CONCLUSION / RECOMMENDATION
A drawback of Wix is if you are building an online store, their e-commerce functions could use a bit of improvement, especially in automating customer management processes (such as automatically emailing purchase confirmations, etc).
Another drawback is that once you are committed to a template, you can’t switch templates for the same website (whereas other website builders do give you this ability) – so pick your template carefully before committing.
A good approach is to start with a free website and familiarize yourself with their tools and see if Wix is for you or not. There is a slight learning curve for Wix but it’s not a huge barrier as I was able to pick up the majority of its functions within 20 minutes (along with their helpful support features).
Once you’ve tried out Wix for free, you can then decide whether it is the best website builder for your individual needs. Remember they have a 14-day risk-free trial / guarantee (if you decide to upgrade).
If used properly, Wix can really help you create a beautiful website with their designer templates (a lot of other website builders lack professional looking templates).
Keep in mind that there is no time limit to use their free services.
Found This Review Helpful?
Leave a comment below; or
Share it with your friends – Tweet, Like, Follow, Pin it with the share buttons below: