If you you are a business or online store, Jimdo is a good website builder for you to consider.
Their support and company culture is upbeat and “fun” as we’ve met with their teams in person before.
A truly international website builder, Jimdo is worth considering especially if English is not your native language.
Review by Jeremy
Last Updated on November 8, 2018
Jimdo is an easy to use, e-commerce oriented website builder. If you want to build an online shop without too much hassle, Jimdo is a very strong candidate to fit your needs.
Even though Jimdo has above average e-commerce features, you can still build a very good website with them even if you are not an online shop.
Jimdo is based out of Germany, and their team and website support more than 9 different languages – so they truly have a global presence. More than 20 million websites are created through Jimdo as well.
We have personally met with their teams in Shanghai (China) and Tokyo (Japan), and have had email correspondences with one of their founders (Christian Springub) and a couple of USA team members.
We were consistently impressed with their passion for helping people build websites, which is an important consideration when selecting the right website builder.
Overall, Jimdo is a very good website builder for those who do not want to pay thousands of dollars for a custom built website, or for those who do not know how to code. It is very easy to use, their customer service and community forum is superb and most important of all, it takes away your headaches of website building so it frees up your time to do more important things.
Jimdo is a very easy way to create a website for small businesses, or for personal use, organizations, clubs, that kind of stuff. It’s a little bit over five years old now. We started in Germany but we’ve internationalized the company quite fast; we have offices in San Francisco, China and Japan now. We fully support 8 languages; people can build sites in these languages and also get support from our staff in languages like Spanish, for example. – Christian Springub, Jimdo Co-Founder
TOP 3 PROS AND CONS OF JIMDO
- A truly international website builder – Compared to its competitors, Jimdo has teams all around the world and so if English is not your first or native language, Jimdo is a good website builder to consider using.
- Access to HTML / CSS codes – If you know how to code or if you are working with a coder, this gives you tremendous design freedom as you can edit the codes to your template. If you don’t intend to edit the codes immediately, this gives you the flexibility to do so in the future.
- Free platform – Jimdo’s free platform (JimdoFree) provides you enough tools to build a very functional website. There is absolutely no pressure to upgrade to the paid platform (JimdoPro and JimdoBusiness) and there are no time limitations as to how long you can remain a free user. Credit card information is not required when you sign up for a free account to test Jimdo out.
- Limited number of professionally designed templates – The quality of Jimdo’s templates is relatively average when compared to other website builders. Using Jimdo for free grants you a certain number of templates but to access even more templates, you will have to become a paying subscriber. [UPDATE – Jimdo recently added more templates to their collection. They also added advanced features such as (1) full background slideshows with tools to customize different visual effects into the background image, and (2) full background video, which allows you to insert a video as the background to your website – how impressive is that! This is the first of its kind amongst website builders we review. These updates show that Jimdo is making big strides in their template designs. We’re looking forward to more impressive features.]
- Limited styling options unless you edit the codes – When compared to other drag & drop website builders, Jimdo’s doesn’t give you as many options to edit the style / design of your website. However, you do have access to edit the codes to your design template, but that’s only if you know how to code or if you are working with a coder.
- Not a true drag-and-drop user interface – Even though Jimdo’s website building tools are not drag and drop, don’t let this fool you into thinking that Jimdo isn’t easy to use. Its functions and user-friendliness still gets the job done, although it would feel more interactive with drag and drop.
JIMDO REVIEW VIDEO
JIMDO IS IDEAL FOR….
Jimdo is ideal for small to medium sized businesses, as its e-commerce platform is more than adequate to do a really good job.
If you are running an e-commerce “heavy weight”, we suggest that you really push Jimdo’s platform hard to ensure that you are fully satisfied their e-commerce functions are suitable for you, prior to upgrading to their paid subscription program.
If you are looking to build a website that does not require e-commerce transaction support, Jimdo is a very good candidate to try as it does have all the basic tools required to build a strong personal or corporate website.
EASE OF USE
Even though Jimdo is not a pure drag and drop website builder, it is relatively easy to use. You build the website right in front of you by adding elements (website building blocks such as paragraphs, pictures, galleries, etc) on to the page. The advantage is that what you see on screen when you are editing the website, is what the website will look like after you publish it. So there is no need to flip back and forth between editing mode and published mode.
Overall, Jimdo is very user friendly and it takes only a few minutes to figure out how to add elements in Jimdo, so the learning curve is not steep. Adding, subtracting and editing elements are a breeze.
TEMPLATE DESIGN OPTIONS
Jimdo used to have over 120 templates available for you to choose from. However, those templates were not mobile ready and you had to use a mobile editor to create a mobile friendly website.
Jimdo has since “culled” their large selection of templates and has created a much smaller collection of mobile responsive designs (currently they have 15, but we expect them to grow this number).
Here are some examples of websites built with Jimdo and their design templates. These will give you a sense of what you can achieve using Jimdo as your website builder.
While we wished that they have a larger selection available to users, note that they are all mobile responsive, meaning no matter what mobile device your website visitor is using, your website will always look great on their screens.
SUPPORT / TUTORIALS / COMMUNITY RESOURCES
Jimdo also has a Live Chat function from 9am – 5pm PST, which can help quite a bit if you prefer to chat with someone live instead of email.
Tutorial Resources Jimdo also has online tutorials which are quite comprehensive and helpful. They cover topics from getting started to features and designs. Every time we were unsure of a function we can always quickly find what we need in their tutorials section, and if not, in their community forum. Jimdo also hosts live free webinars which cover topics such as “Website Basics”, “Social Media Basics” and “SEO Basics”. You can register for these live webinars for free. If you want to learn a few more advanced tips and tricks, Gud Themes (mentioned and recommended by Jimdo) has interesting Jimdo tutorials which you can receive for free. Gud Themes is a premium Jimdo designer templates provider (they’re one of the third party independent Jimdo templates provider we mentioned above).
Community Forum A useful tip is to search within Jimdo’s community forum to see if other people have asked similar questions as you do. In our opinion, Jimdo has a very resourceful forum and by taking advantage of it, you may be able to quickly find solutions from other members’ responses or from Jimdo’s forum moderators.
JIMDO MOBILE APPS
Jimdo offers you free iOS (Apple) and Android apps that you can install into your iPhone, iPad or Android phones, so you can create, edit and monitor your website even if you’re not in front of your computers.
You can add photos, text, galleries, and even blog posts directly from your device. You will also be able to monitor your website statistics on the go.
This feature is almost a bare minimum standard nowaday, so Jimdo doesn’t fail here at all.
We have more discussions about Jimdo’s iOS app here.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Jimdo web pages are automatically search engine optimized. While you can modify the global SEO settings for JimdoFree websites, if you are a JimdoPro or JimdoBusiness user, you can make further SEO optimization by adapting meta tags for each individual web page.
Jimdo actually provides helpful SEO tutorials on their website which is also a nice resources and support to have.
We’ve seen arguments that website builders perform very poorly in search engine rankings. However, we have personally built Jimdo websites that have also ranked on first pages of search results. So don’t let others discourage you – just because they can’t do it, doesn’t mean you can’t either! SEO is about planning, technique and persistence, but that’s beyond the scope of this review.
HOSTING AND EXPORT OPTIONS
Jimdo hosts all the websites for you, even if you are using their free platform (JimdoFree), so you do not have to pay for hosting separately.
The advantage is that they manage the entire process for you so you can concentrate on building your website and focusing on other more important things. Jimdo takes care of all the security upgrades, backups and do all the techie stuff to ensure your website is always up and running, and doesn’t get hacked.
Currently, Jimdo does not have an official export function yet. The disadvantage is that one day if you decide to leave Jimdo, you won’t be able to take the website with you and host it somewhere else. However, to be fair, this is not unusual for website builders at all, since website building technologies are not easily adaptable or made-compatible across different hosting platforms.
Our recommendation is that if you’re interested in Jimdo, try it for free to see if it fits your needs. If so, then you can decide whether you would like to commit. There is no pressure whatsoever from the Jimdo team.
PRICING – IS IT WORTH THE INVESTMENT?
If you are building an online shop, JimdoPro and JimdoBusiness are very reasonably priced given their e-commerce tools and infrastructure, which automates a lot of the manual work that you will be required to do with other website builders.
For other website builders that do not have good e-commerce features, you will probably have to use a third party shopping cart which will be an added cost that Jimdo users do not have to worry about. Another aspect to consider is their global support and vibrant user community.
We have had email correspondences and met some of their global leadership teams, and we can confidently say that their care for their customers, passion and enthusiasm is very rare amongst “companies”. They place user experience as a priority before anything else.
The current price is $90 per year (or $7.50 per month) for JimdoPro, and $240 per year (or $20 per month) for JimdoBusiness (click here to see pricing table). In our opinion, it’s really worth the investment if you are serious about your website, especially if you have an online store.
CONCLUSION / RECOMMENDATION
Found This Review Helpful?
Share it with your friends – Tweet, Like, Follow, Pin us below.
The biggest compliment we can receive from you is a Share!