Wix Pricing Review
Wix’s pricing plans offer really good value compared to other drag & drop website builders. We feel that Wix is the best All-Around website builder and their pricing range is lower than its direct competitors.
Review by Jeremy
Last Updated on November 23, 2018
Wondering about Wix prices, value for money, or which Wix premium plan is right for you? You’ve come to the right place!
Wix is our number one rated website builder that has something for everyone, and this is reflected in its prices. Wix has a free plan, and then seven paid plans starting with the Connect Domain plan at just $5 a month (billed yearly).
The more you pay, the more features you unlock, with the $35 a month Business VIP plan offering the most advanced ecommerce features.
Wix Pricing: What do you get for your money?
The most popular is the $14 a month Unlimited plan. This gives you unlimited bandwidth, a free domain, site booster and form builder apps, and more. At the highest end of the scale, is the Business VIP plan at $35 a month.
But what does this mean? Is Wix good value for money? The simple answer is, yes! Wix offers lower prices than competitors like Squarespace and Weebly, and has a wider range of features available on its free plan. This means you can create a professional site without using up your life savings!
But how do you know which Wix premium plan is right for you? In this article we’ll breakdown each plan, look at what each one is best for, compare these prices to Wix’s competitors, and show you just what you get for your money.
You can pay for your Wix subscription either monthly or yearly, with seven premium plans to choose from.
|Wix Pricing Plans||Monthly Plan ($/month)||Annual Plan ($/month)||Savings (%)|
* This price reflects the Business Basic plan which is the cheapest of the three ecommerce premiums.
If you choose to enroll into a month-to-month payment plan, the monthly prices are slightly higher. Monthly subscriptions don’t include bonuses like the free domain name included in most yearly plans, or the premium apps and ad vouchers that may be offered on that plan. For example, if you chose monthly payments for the Unlimited plan, you would only have five out of nine of the available features.
If you go with an annual plan, you save anywhere from 18% to 36%.
So picking an annual plan makes a lot of sense especially as you have an unlimited amount of time to try Wix for free.
I’m sure you know already, you can sign up and test Wix for free and the free trial has no time limit. You don’t have to upgrade until you are ready.
Here’s another interesting fact.
82% of new Wix paid subscribers choose to sign up to annual plans. This means that only 18% of their subscribers sign up to month-to-month payment plans.
This just goes to show how appealing the annual plan discount is – the numbers speak for themselves.
If you’re really happy with Wix, you can even sign up to a two year plan, which saves you an extra 5%.
So if it’s a deal you’re after, sign up to the annual plan, but if you’re in it for the long haul then the two year plan saves a little extra, and won’t break the bank.
|Wix Pricing Plans||Connect Domain||Combo||Unlimited||eCommerce||VIP|
|Free Domain *||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Remove Wix Ad||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Site Booster App||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Form Builder App||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Site Review ***||No||No||No||No***||Yes|
|Wix Pricing Plans||Connect Domain||Combo||Unlimited||eCommerce||VIP|
* Wix gives you a free domain name for 1-year if you sign up to their annual plans.
** The Business Basic and Business Unlimited plans do not offer VIP support, but the Business VIP plan does.
*** With the VIP plans, Wix gives you a 1-time free review of your website’s design, user interface, and SEO.
As you can see, there is an impressive range of features available. Here’s a breakdown of the useful, and some of the more unclear, ones on offer:
- Bandwidth: This basically refers to how much data and traffic your site can handle and transfer. If you’re adding lots of media like images, videos, and audio to your website, then you need a higher bandwidth to keep downloads running smoothly.
- Domain: A custom domain is the personalized website address, or name of your website. It appears in the search bar as the URL, for example www.websitebuilderexpert.com is our domain name! This is important for any site as it makes your website easier to find and makes it more credible. You get a free domain for one year if you sign up to an annual plan.
- SSL Encryption: SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. If your website has SSL security it means that any data transferred between your website and its visitors remains safely encrypted and private. This is really important for online stores where people are logging in and making payments with credit cards etc. You can tell if a site has SSL encryption because the web address will start with https (meaning it’s secure) rather than http (meaning it’s insecure).
- Site Booster App: This is an app that helps drive more traffic to your site and improve rankings. It lists your site in top directories, and displays details to help you rank higher in search engines like Google. It also monitors your site’s progress and updates you on a regular basis.
- Form Builder App: This app lets you create custom forms (such as booking forms, membership forms, selling tickets, multi-language forms, online quizzes, and more).
- Site Review: If you are on the VIP plan, you can get a one-time review of your site by a Wix expert. This is meant to be used after you have designed your site, filled out your site content, and optimized for SEO, so the experts can give the most valuable feedback possible.
1) Connect Domain Plan ($5.00/month)
This plan is the cheapest and most basic of the five Wix premiums. While it’s good for anyone who just wants to connect their own domain to their website, this plan offers the least value for money.
Sure, you get to connect the website to your own custom domain name so you get the benefit of being able to brand your website as your own, but under this Connect Domain plan, Wix still displays their advertisement on your website.
That doesn’t sound 100% fair, right? Why pay a monthly fee if they’re going to keep their brand on your website.
Put it this way. Wix’s biggest competitors – Squarespace and Weebly – both price their lowest premium plans at $12 per month and $8 per month, respectively. So while Wix’s Connect Domain plan of $5.00 per month is an extremely competitive price, it’s more of a stepping stone to the $11 a month combo plan.
The connect domain plan gives you:
- 500MB storage
- 1GB bandwidth
- ability to connect your domain
We feel that Wix is worth a lot more than only $5.00 per month as in our view, they are the best all-around website builder available today.
Best for: short term solutions. This plan is for those who already have a domain and want to use it for their Wix website, are headed for the combo plan but aren’t ready to upgrade any higher just yet.
2) Combo Plan ($11.00/month)
This plan will remove all Wix advertisements from your website, so your visitors won’t know that your website was built with a website builder.
You get 2GB in bandwidth and 3GB of storage space under this plan.
Now, it’s quite tricky to tell if 2GB in bandwidth and 3GB of storage space are enough for you. The more visitors you have and the more graphics you insert into your pages, the more bandwidth you need to power your website.
But you don’t need to worry about this, because if you’re approaching your bandwidth limit, Wix will warn you about it.
Unfortunately, if you do exceed 2GB per month, you cannot purchase more from Wix. Once you run out you’ll need to upgrade to a higher premium plan which is an additional $4 per month (or the price of a fancy cup of coffee).
This is not all that bad considering if you run out of bandwidth, this usually means you are getting more website visitors than you expect – which is awesome.
So what else does the Combo plan offer?
- 2G bandwidth
- 3GB storage
- Connect your domain
- 30 video minutes
- Remove Wix branding & adverts
- Free domain for one year
This plan offers more versatile and in-depth features than the Connect Domain plan, removing adverts as well as offering a free domain on the annual plan. While embedded videos are always free, this plan also allows you to upload up to 30 minutes of video to be played in high definition.
Best for: personal use. This is the best basic Wix plan for your first upgrade, offering great value for money if your website is on a small level.
3) Unlimited Plan ($14.00/month)
The Unlimited Plan is Wix’s most popular plan, especially for small businesses and entrepreneurs. Unlimited bandwidth, no Wix adverts, a free custom domain for the year, and premium apps makes this plan worth the extra $4 per month (compared to the Combo plan).
Not to mention you also get 10GB of storage space – that’s 7GB more than what you get under the Combo plan.
With Wix’s Unlimited Plan, you receive the Form Builder App (at $48 value). This means you can create personalized forms (from bookings to quizzes) to encourage your visitors to interact with your site and services. You’ll also unlock the Site Booster App ($60 value). This helps improve your website’s chances of being discovered in Google (you can also see our guide on Website Builder SEO here).
These apps are great bonuses and add value to your plan, but there are other key features to influence your decision.
Some other factors to think about are:
- Unlimited bandwidth – great for businesses and entrepreneurs since your goal is to increase your website visitors.
- 10GB storage – this is a lot more than the combo plan and gives a lot more room for your site to grow.
- Ecommerce tools – this plan does not come with ecommerce tools so you can’t sell online. If you need to sell products through your website check out Wix’s eCommerce plans.
- Multimedia – you can upload up to one hour of video content on your website, which is a great way of showcasing projects and engaging visitors with your site.
The Unlimited plan removes some of the limitations of the lower price plans. By unlocking premium apps and more video content, you can create a more user friendly and interactive site with increased storage, bandwidth, and SEO boosters.
Best for: small businesses, entrepreneurs, and freelancers. If you don’t need to sell through your website, this plan is perfect for giving you more freedom to engage with visitors and giving your website room to grow.
4) VIP Plan ($29.00/month)
The Wix VIP plan also comes with VIP pricing – the most expensive plan out of the four website-only plans!
All (lame) jokes aside, this plan includes all the features you get from the lower plans, and more. This plan comes with all the features of the lower premiums and combines it with extra bonuses only available on the VIP plan.
And to be fair, Wix’s VIP pricing plan at $29 a month is actually a lot more affordable than their competitors’ highest plans, which come in the $40 to $50 per month range.
So what are those extra features you get with the Wix VIP plan? Here are the two key things:
- 10 Wix ShoutOut email campaigns per month – ShoutOut is Wix’s email marketing program that helps you send out newsletters or promotional emails to your subscribers with ease. You can design your own emails without knowing any code (just drag & drop) and start promoting your services, products, brand – just like that. This is definitely helpful if you are a business and want to build a stronger brand and following. Here are the regular prices for Wix ShoutOut so you can get a sense of the bonus value the VIP plan offers – the Basic plan (5 email campaigns per month) is $4.90 and the Business Essential plan (20 email campaigns per month) is $12.90. So you’re roughly getting $6 to $7 in value per month for free with the VIP plan (that is if you use Wix ShoutOut).
- Send up to 50,000 emails a month – if you need to promote events or deals, send updates, newsletters or run marketing campaigns, this is a valuable feature!
- Priority response – hate waiting in queues? Get the VIP treatment and jump to the front with priority response. If you submit a question on the Wix Answers page, your query is pushed to the front to give you a quicker response time.
- VIP support – get exclusive phone support to get any problems or queries sorted as quickly as possible.
- Professional Site Review – Wix’s experts will review your website to provide you with feedback for your website’s design, user-interface, and SEO. This kind of service can cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars if you hire an outside professional to do this for you. We haven’t tested Wix’s professional site review ourselves, but having an expert give feedback on your site isn’t something to pass up. It could be an extremely valuable resource that makes a big difference to your website.
So Wix’s VIP plan is a premium price for a premium service. This is really for those with a bigger website who need that extra bandwidth, and for those with a bigger budget who can afford that VIP service.
Best for: bigger websites, and anyone who needs a high level of support and a large amount of email campaigns.
5) eCommerce Plans ($20 – $35/month)
If you intend to sell products (physical or digital), then you’ll need to choose from one of these three ecommerce plans.
Business Basic ($20 per month)
If you’re setting up a standard online store, this is the best option for you – and the cheapest! It has all the features you need from accepting payments to creating coupons using the Wix Stores app. If you’re selling services or offering appointments you can use the Wix Bookings app to create bookings, set email reminders and more.
These are great add-ons, but what do you actually get with the Business Basic plan itself?
- 20GB storage
- Unlimited bandwidth
- SSL encryption
- Free domain
- No Wix adverts
- Online store – no commission
- Site Builder & Form Builder premium apps
- Google Analytics
- $300 Ad Vouchers
All Wix plans come with SSL encryption, Google Analytics, at least 500MB storage, and 24/7 support. But these are extra important if you’re running an online store. For example, SSL security is vital to being trusted by customers and protecting any data being transferred during online payments.
This plan is still the best to start out on, and this should be more than enough to grow your online store with. But if you know you need more than this, take a look at the Business Unlimited plan.
Best for: small online stores! If you’re setting up an online store or want to accept payments through your website, this plan has got you covered.
Business Unlimited ($25 per month)
This is Wix’s most popular ecommerce plan. It has all the features included in the Business Basic plan, with extras!
10 video hours means you can upload up to 10 hours of video content to your website, but 35GB storage and email campaigns are the real strong points of this plan. It gives you the tools to promote and grow your online business for only $5 extra a month!
Unless you already have an online store set up and running, it’s probably best to work up to this plan so you really get the most for your money. You don’t want to be paying for features your website’s not ready for – it would be like buying a car and only using it to listen to the radio instead of driving it!
But at its super reasonable price of $25 a month, the Business Unlimited plan is an easy step up from the Basic Business plan.
Best for: growing businesses and online stores. With all the features of the basic plan plus really valuable extras like email campaigns and extra storage, this plan is perfect for increasing your website’s size and outreach.
Business VIP ($35 per month)
This is the most expensive ecommerce plan at $35 a month. With its priority response and premium support, this is the ecommerce equivalent of Wix’s regular VIP plan. It offers:
- Everything included on the lower business plans such as unlimited bandwidth, Google Analytics, premium apps, and email campaigns
- 50GB storage
- 30 video hours
- Priority response
- VIP support
This Wix premium plan has the most storage of all seven plans at an impressive 50GB. So if it’s space you’re after, look no further! Priority response and VIP support means you don’t have to waste precious time waiting for answers to your queries or trying to sort out problems online. Talk to customer support over the telephone, jump straight to the front of the queue, and move on – time is money after all!
Best for: large online stores and large budgets. This plan has the most amount of features, storage, and powerful features of any of Wix’s premium plans.
Wix pricing plans are actually more economical when compared to their direct competitors (Squarespace and Weebly).
Wix’s plans range from $5.00 per month to $35 per month, whereas Squarespace’s plans range from $12 per month to $40 per month, and Weebly’s plans range from $8 per month to $38 per month.
|Pricing Comparison||Basic||Personal||Standard||Business & Ecommerce||Advanced|
Granted, each of these competitors offers you different features, and each plan is unique in who and what it is meant for. This table shows a general outline of the level of each plan. You can see how Weebly and Squarespace prices quickly become more expensive, whereas Wix’s plans remain under $40.
Prices are different between these builders because of the different services and strengths they offer on their plans. For example, Squarespace has extremely high quality templates and a ton of creative freedom, while Weebly is the best for small businesses and offers tailored features to support entrepreneurs.
But Wix is the best all-round website builder, and this is shown here in the scale of its premium plans. Whether you choose the $5 or $35 plan, you have access to a range of features without emptying your life savings.
Wix has a more affordable range of prices, but provides the designs, features, and intuitive editing tools to make your site professional and powerful. This makes it great value for money as you’re getting a host of options without paying expensive prices.
Beyond paying the monthly subscription fee, there are other costs that you should take into consideration, including:
- Domain name
- Custom email addresses
Domain Name Cost ($14.95 to $24.85 per year)
What’s a domain name? It’s your own personalized website address that people can type into a web browser to reach your website.
For instance, our website domain name is www.websitebuilderexpert.com
Each website has its own unique name on the internet and so there can be no duplicates. It’s a good opportunity to brand your website or business with your own unique domain name.
You can transfer and connect your own domain to your Wix website for $16.89, or set up a new one.
If you sign up to one of Wix’s annual plans (except for the Connect Domain plan), you’ll get a free custom domain name for one year.
After the first year, you’ll need to pay an annual fee to keep the domain name registered to you. If you don’t pay, then someone else can register that domain name and use it for him/herself.
With Wix the annual renewal fee is $14.95 per year.
Wix domains renew automatically so you don’t need to worry about forgetting and losing your personalized web address. You can turn this setting off if you want to, of course, just remember to make a note of the renewal date if you want to keep your domain.
Compared to Squarespace and Weebly, Wix’s domain name fees are reasonable. Squarespace charges $20 per year and Weebly charges $19.95. So Wix offers a really competitive renewal rate at $14.95 a year.
Custom Email Addresses ($4.08 per month per email address)
Wix has partnered up with G Suites (basically Google’s Gmail for Business) to enable you to create custom email addresses directly within your Wix account.
This makes it a lot easier for you as traditionally, you’ll have to create email addresses with a separate service provider, prove that you own the domain name, then do all sorts of technical mumbo jumbo to get things setup.
With Wix partnering up with Google’s G Suites, you can pay for, setup and configure your email addresses right inside Wix’s dashboard.
So what do you get if you decide to use G Suites? You get:
- A personalized email address
- 30GB email inbox and drive storage size
- Collaborative Calendar, Google Docs, Sheets & Slides
- Online video meetings and messaging (Google Hangout)
- No ads
- Accessible on mobile and desktop
- 24/7 support
Basically, all the features, reliability and security that you’d get from Gmail, except you get your own branded email addresses.
All these features will cost you $4.08 if you sign up for an annual plan, or $5.00 if you decide to go with a month-to-month plan.
We use G Suites ourselves to operate our business. We like it because it’s reliable, easy to use and it just plain works.
For a few dollars per month per email, it’s a great investment for us since we’re reading and responding to emails all the time.
Wix is the most popular website builder and its prices are competitive. The range of features, premium apps, increased bandwidth and storage, and perks like a free domain offer great value for your money.
We don’t recommend the Connect Domain plan if you’re looking for a great deal. But with all the other premium plans you can be sure you’re getting the most out of your hard earned cash.
Let’s have a quick recap of Wix’s seven price plans:
- Free plan: $0 forever! A great range of features, templates, and apps, but with limits on your site’s functions, Wix branding and adverts on your site, and a wix.com website address.
- Connect Domain plan: $5 a month (billed yearly). Connect your domain, 500MB storage, and 1GB bandwidth.
- Combo plan: $11 a month (billed yearly). Get a free domain for one year on the annual plan, more storage, bandwidth, and remove Wix ads. Best for personal use.
- Unlimited plan: $14 a month (billed yearly). More storage and unlimited bandwidth. Wix’s most popular plan, especially for businesses.
- VIP plan: $25 a month (billed annually). Sell online, get unlimited bandwidth and premium support, priority service, and one-time site review. Wix’s most expensive plan.
- Business Basic plan (formerly eCommerce plan): $20 a month (billed yearly). Sell online, no commission, get premium apps to support your online store, 20GB storage, unlimited bandwidth and no Wix ads. The cheapest plan for selling online.
- Business Unlimited: $25 a month (billed annually). Sell online, no commission, 35GB storage, and 20 email campaigns a month. Best for growing your online store.
- Business VIP: $35 a month (billed annually). Sell online, no commission, 50GB storage, and priority support. The most expensive ecommerce plan.
Wix’s free plan is a great way to start out, build and test your website before upgrading. You can then move onto one of Wix’s seven paid plans: we recommend upgrading straight to the Combo plan for $11 a month, as it’s better value for money than the Connect Domain plan and has everything you need for a personal website.
For selling online we recommend the Business Basic plan for $20 a month, as it has everything you need to make your online store succeed. As your business grows you can upgrade to the Business Unlimited plan at $25 a month which supports email campaigns and has 35GB storage.
We covered additional charges like domain renewal, but rest assured there are no hidden costs with Wix. It remains one the best value builders compared to its main competitors.
So which plan you choose will depend on your needs and preferences as well as your budget. But whether you’re starting your own blog or looking to sell online, Wix really does have something for everyone – at prices everyone can afford!
Is Wix Free?
Yes! Wix has a free plan you can stay on as long as you like. There are no hidden costs or extras – you can create, edit, publish and then carry on uploading to your website without paying a single cent! You get a great choice of templates, features like videos, galleries, maps and more, as well as free apps to add to your site.
But, there are drawbacks to the free plan. There will be Wix branding and adverts on your website, you can’t have your own personalized website address, you can’t sell online, and there are certain features you won’t be able to use. So the free plan is best for starting out, creating and designing your website, and getting an idea of how you want it to look and perform. Then, we do recommend upgrading to one of Wix’s premium plans, such as the $11 a month Combo plan which removes ads and offers a free domain.
How much is Wix eCommerce?
Wix has three ecommerce plans ranging from $20 to $35. The cheapest is the Business Basic plan at $20 a month. This allows you to accept online payments, removes Wix ads, gives you unlimited bandwidth, 20GB storage and access to Google Analytics, as well as premium apps like Site Booster to help you rank on Google.
There is also the most popular Business Unlimited plan at $25 a month, which has more storage as well as supporting email campaigns. The most expensive is the $35 a month Business VIP plan, which gives you everything the others do as well as priority support.
How much does Wix cost?
Wix has seven plans in total: four are tailored to normal websites ranging from $5 to $29 a month, the most popular being the Unlimited plan at $14 a month. Then there are three which are tailored to business and ecommerce websites. These ecommerce plans range from $20 to $35 and have more specialized features such as email campaigns.
What is the best Wix premium plan?
The best type of Wix plan for you will depend on your needs and the type of website you’re creating. If you have a personal or business website that doesn’t need to sell anything online, we recommend the Combo plan.
At just $11 a month it’s great value for money and provides everything you’ll need to grow your website, such as a free domain and 3GB storage. If you’re looking for something more, the Unlimited plan is Wix’s most popular price plan at $14 a month. This gives you unlimited bandwidth and premium apps!
If you need to sell online Wix’s Business Unlimited plan is the most popular, as it gives you the best features for growing your business, for example 35GB storage and 20 email campaigns a month. If you’re just starting out though, we recommend the cheapest ecommerce plan Business Basic at $20 a month, as it has everything you need to set up your online store.
Can I pay my Wix subscription monthly?
Yes, of course! You can choose whether you pay for your Wix plan monthly or yearly, but remember that you won’t have access to the same perks, features and offers if you pay monthly. For example, you won’t get the free domain for a year or be able to use the premium apps usually offered with annual plans. Also, if you pay monthly it is more expensive than paying for a yearly subscription.
Does Wix have any hidden costs?
Not a single one! If you’re on the free plan, there’s no fee to publish your site or make changes to your site once it’s live. There are apps and features you need to upgrade to use, but it tells you this upfront as soon as you click on a premium feature, so you’re not caught out or charged.
There are always extra costs to think about, the main ones being domain renewal fees or setting up a personalized email mailbox as these things do cost extra. But Wix isn’t sneaky about these, and you have complete control over your own renewals and payments. If you have your own domain name and don’t want automatic renewal remember to turn it off in your settings.
Does Wix have a free trial?
Yes! All of Wix’s premium plans offer a 14 day money back guarantee so you can test it out without worrying. This is a great way of knowing you’re picking the right plan, as you get access to all the features it has to offer, but with the comfort that if you’re not 100% happy you’ll get your money back.
This along with the totally free plan means there aren’t any surprises when you sign up with Wix. Just remember if you purchase a domain name, this will not be included in the refund.